Monday, July 2, 2012

Tequila Lime Chicken

The Crock-Pot, one of the kitchen’s best gadgets for any busy student, professional, mother, or just anyone who doesn’t feel like laboring over the stove top.  If my husband and I are good about getting the grocery shopping done sometime on Sunday before a hectic week starts, we usually get a couple different dinners and lunches out of the trusty crockpot.  Lately we had gotten out of the habit, as the flavors were starting to become repetitive (think pot roast or italian type flavors every other night).  In the spirit of summer, and the fact that I was going to be at work somewhere between 5 and 5:30 am and had class this evening until 7 pm, a crockpot dinner seemed like the logical choice (in other words, minimal effort and a happy tummy).
I was inspired by Margarita Lime Chicken recipes throughout the internet and was confident, as in I would have bet away cash on hand, that we had an open container of margarita mix.  Apparently… we did not.  Hmph, honestly I can’t remember how or when we used it up.  And I thought we had cheap, well cheap-er, tequila on the liquor shelf.  Wrong again.  We only had a bottle of 1800 Reposado.  Good stuff, but really – not necessary for cooking.  Although, another benefit of growing up in the Mexican culture, appreciation for good tequila.  (Side note: I highly recommend 3 Generaciones, but I’m getting off topic, aren’t I).  Thus when I found out we were missing the margarita mix, recipes went to the wayside and here’s my variation, which actually turned out refreshingly tasty with a good bite from the lime and some remnants of tequila on the pallet.  But I think I still have to tweak some ingredients here & there, and one day, when we have margarita mix again, try the margarita lime chicken.
Tequila Lime Chicken
  • 3-4 chicken breasts, or really any part of the chicken would do
  • 1/4 – 1/3 cup tequila
  • 1/4 cup lime juice (either fresh or bottled will do)
  • 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, sliced lengthwise
  • 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, sliced lengthwise
  • 1 Garlic Clove or 1 tsp minced/crushed garlic
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Lite Soy Sauce
  • Pinch of Montreal Chicken Seasoning
All ingredients can be mixed together and set on low for 8 hours.
We usually run our crockpot at night (for some reason we both fear not being home while it’s on).  I take the pot out and place it at room temperature around 5 am and my husband places the food in the fridge an hour or so later once it’s down to room temperature.   So we just heated it up for dinner along with a side of quinoa and cucumber dill salad.
Cucumber Dill Salad – Just for 2
  • 1 Cucumber
  • 2 Sprigs of Dill
  • 1/4 cup White Vinegar
  • 1 tsp Honey
  • 1 tsp Minced Garlic
Slice the cucumber in round slices.  Chop up the dill.  Mix in the rest.  And there it is, quick, simple, and tangy.  Although, I’m finding out, my better half isn’t fond of dill.  Unless it’s dill dip with Ruffles potato chips.  Not vegetables or any other dipping food or just potato chips, but specifically Ruffles potato chips.
Now, while I do admit to spoiling our dog.  I will say, the behavior depicted below is never acceptable… unless she’s drinking the rest of my soy milk from my cereal bowl or ice cream leftovers.  But, in the spirit of the blog and this dinner dish… It’s So Good, Even My Dog Ate It.

No comments:

Post a Comment