Sunday, January 20, 2013

Slow Cooker Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

So, I’m posting this one about a month after I made it.  Classes started back up 2 weeks ago, work started 2.5 weeks ago, and Christmas break flew by much too quickly.   But this had great reviews at work AND my parents were all about it too.  So definitely thought this was worth posting.  But the awesome news I do have to share is that last semester I finally got my academic mojo back.   It felt great to finally score some darn good grades in a couple of classes and it proves that you can work and go to class AND do well!  And me married, have a few pets, be involved with the community, and do well at work still!  Just saying, I was starting to loose faith, but really I just had to focus a little better.  And taking a week off of work before finals to just focus on studying, that helped a lot too!

Ingredients:

  • (1) 32 oz Bag Frozen Tater Tots
  • 6 slices of Bacon
  • 1 lb Ground Beef or Turkey (I used turkey)
  • Cooking Spray
  • 1/2 large Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
  • 1/2 large Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
  • 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
  • 12 Large Eggs
  • 1 Cup Whipping Cream
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Pepper

Directions:

  • Step 1 – Fry up the bacon in a cooking pan until nice & crunchy.  Drain the grease off & blot the grease off the bacon with paper towel.
  • Step 2 – Cook the ground beef/turkey in a pan on the stove over medium-high heat.  Once it’s browned the whole way through, it’s ready as well.
  • Step 3 – Once the bacon is cooled down, crumble it into smaller pieces.
  • Step 4 – Spray the bottom of the crock pot, so that the  tater tots don’t stick.
  • Step 5 – Layer the tater tots at the bottom of the crock pot.
  • Step 6 – Layer the bacon crumbles and ground beef/turkey over the tater tots
  • Step 7 – Over the meet, layer the vegetables (peppers and onions).  Then follow up with the shredded cheese.
  • Step 8 – In a large bowl, mix the 12 eggs with 1 cup cream, salt, and pepper until thoroughly mixed and all the yolks are broken.

  • Step 9 – Lastly, pour the eggs mixture over the layers. It will look like the eggs all sunk to the bottom.  I doubted that it would be enough… surprise!  They fluff right up to the top!
  • Step 10 – Turn the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.  PERFECT for cooking overnight and having a warm breakfast ready to go in the morning.
  • Sadly, I didn’t get a “finished” picture at the end of this… since we ate all this up at work.  So hopefully, next time I make this at home I will remember!


No comments:

Post a Comment