Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cauliflower & Cheese Soup


Another one of those Friday night, non slow cooker meals that isn’t overly filling.  And a batch lasts for a few days with only 2 people under one roof.  With kids, it could last a couple of days.  We’ve gotten about 8 servings out of it.  BUT we did make this part of a filling dinner with an English Pot Roast and veggies as the main course, this was just a starter.  But for the rest of the weekend, this has been my post workout lunch.  And if I added up my calories right, it’s only about 150 calories per serving.  Yes, now that I know I can achieve academic success, time to up the ante.  This term taking 10 credits instead of 7-8 (so that’s 3 good classes: Property, Constitutional Law, and International Commercial Arbitration).  AND still working.. AND this time around, putting gym time at least 3-4 days of the week back into my schedule.  Before law school, I went at least a couple times during the week.  Even when I used to travel for work, I’d spend all week at the hotel gym or at a local gym by the hotel.   So, I think to get back into a healthy lifestyle, we just can’t eat healthy foods, have to work out a bit too.
So a fun tidbit about cauliflower – I STILL hate eating it cold and I used to hate it 100% as a kid.  I’ve come to like it cooked, either mashed like mashed potatoes, steamed with cheese, and in soup!  So if you have kids that hate it as much I did (and still do somewhat), this recipe could be a winner.

Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Small Sweet Onion, Diced
  • 1 tsp Garlic, Minced
  • 1 Cauliflower Head, Chopped
  • 4 Cups Water
  • 4 tsp Chicken Bouillon Powder
  • 1 – 1.5 Cups Shredded Cheese (I used a mix of Sharp Cheddar and Swiss… most recipes usually call for yellow or white cheddar)
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

Directions:

  • Step 1 – Over medium heat, warm a large sauce pan or larger pot and heat the olive oil.
  • Step 2 – Add in onion and garlic
  • Step 3 – After a few minutes, add in the cauliflower.  Cook for about 10 minutes until cauliflower is nice and tender.
  • Step 4 – Add in the water and chicken powder.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes total.
  • Step 5 – Either using an immersion blender or pouring the soup into a regular blender, puree the soup.
  • Step 6 – Add the soup back into the pot and bring to a boil then reduce heat again
  • Step 7 – Add in the shredded cheese into the soup and thoroughly mix in and let the cheese melt and blend into the soup.
  • Step 8 – Lastly, time for the spice!  Add in the cayenne pepper.  1/2 tsp is family friendly… we used more like 1 tsp maybe more for a better kick!  And you can add in other spices too.
  • Step 9 – Ready to Serve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment